As a student, one of the most dreadful tasks that you can face has to be exam preparations .Thus, acquiring studying skills determines whether or not a student is going to get a high or low GPA at the end of the academic calendar.
One study trait that is common among college students whenever exams loom around the corner is the ‘all-nighter’.This method of studying is accompanied by chugging down multiple cups of coffee to guarantee optimal study and research sessions.
However, this approach is ineffective due to the amount of pressure that it puts on students. A general rule of thumb as far as effective studying tips are concerned is that for every hour that students spend in lecturer halls, they need to study for two to three hours researching and studying.
A Useful Guide on the Number of Hours Students Should prepare for an examt.
Determine the Type of Student That You Are.
To grasp knowledge effectively, you need to familiarize yourself with your learning style. This is because reading for 5 hours without intermittent breaks is not going to help you ace your tests.
Human beings are diverse and that applies to learning. The question that you need to be asking yourself is, “What style of learning suits me best? Is it listening? Visuals? Or a combination of the two?”
After knowing what type of learning method suits you. You can come up with a studying schedule that you can implement to get optimum results.
Come Up with a Study Plan
To optimize your time and effort when studying. You need to have a rough idea of the information that you need to prepare for in your preparations for upcoming exams.
In some cases, your professor will provide study guidelines that can help you narrow down on sections of the syllabus. you need to familiarize yourself with them .
It is imperative that you come up with an effective note taking and reading method .To ensure that you understand and retain all the information required to excel in the test.
Below are some tips to help you read and prepare yourself for upcoming exams.
- Summarize the key points when reading which you suspect may be tested on the exam.
- Don’t skim through when going through your notes and essay write-ups. Instead, take ample time to read through each page.
- In case you come across concepts or terms that you don’t understand. Attempt to ask your course mates or professor. They will be able to explain the same in a simple way for you to grasp.
As a student, you need to understand that reading is not about rushing to finish. Rather, it’s all about mastering concepts and terminology correctly the first time. Avoid duplicating your reading efforts in the future.
Plan and Manage Your Time Effectively.
Develop and create study goals. This can help you stay motivated and on track as far as your long-term study goals are concerned.
Prioritize your reading topics to avoid confusion and information overload. You can effectively prioritize study areas by following your professor’s course guidelines. That way, you can focus your reading efforts on topics that are likely to be tested on the exam.
While studying, the purpose is to cover one unit at a time as opposed to multitasking.
Planning and managing your time help avoid distractions that can inhibit your concentration. When you adhere to a certain schedule, you are driven to acquire knowledge and information in the shortest time possible.
Take Study Breaks
You need to understand that, unlike machines, your brain cannot work overtime. It needs to rest for it to help you process and understand information optimally. Whenever you experience brain fog, chances are you need to take a break.
Students can take study breaks by:
- Exercising – Working out helps to alleviate stress during the examination week. During exam week, you may experience anxiety that can prevent you from retaining the information needed to ace your exams.
To keep your mind active and rested, you can run, go for a walk, or perhaps even go for a bicycle ride. Doing so will help you focus on your studies since your mind will be rested . It will reduce the chances of daydreaming and having your mind wandering while reading.
- Maintain your social life – When preparing for upcoming exams, don’t abandon your social life. Having fun with friends and acquaintances can help relax your mind and release the tension and pressure that builds up during exam week.
Learning to maintain a balance between studying for your exams .Having a social life can help you increase your productivity and concentration levels.
- Take naps: Whether you like it or not, at some point in your academic life, you are going to experience sleep deprivation while preparing for an upcoming exam.
Thus, it’s paramount to take some time off to nap and relax since it allows your brain to recharge for further studying time.
- Remember to take your meals – Surprisingly, reading consumes a huge amount of energy from your body, and it’s not unnatural to feel hungry after a couple of hours of studying.
during exam preparations, strive to eat healthy foods as they play an important role in providing essential nutrients for your brain.
Additionally, remember to drink water to keep yourself hydrated. Water also helps prevent dehydration caused by drinking too much coffee.
- Meditation – Exam weeks are stressful for students, and many tend to struggle with anxiety. Keeping your mind calm and relaxed is a key component of exam preparation,can make or break your GPA.
Students need to cultivate the art of mindfulness as it helps keep one relaxed during stressful exam weeks.
By listening to meditation channels on YouTube or downloading phone applications like Headspace you will be taking the first step towards cultivating a calm mind. This will not only help you navigate the pressure of exam preparations but life in general.
Ask for help
You can’t learn everything in a week or two. Therefore, it is important to get as much help as possible.
The go-to method of cramming and memorizing as many formulas,will not cut it for good grades. Get help from your classmates, friends, or academic tutoring sites to assist you in preparation for exams.
Summary: How Many Hours Should Students Study for Exams?
To get excellent exam results, it is advised to prepare for your exams two weeks before they begin. That way, you will not feel the pressure that comes with reading the day before the exam.
Furthermore, you will have enough time to carry out extensive research to increase your odds of passing the exams.